6.18.2008

Visit #1

We are choosing to work with Shady Grove Fertility Center. They have a very good reputation and have centers all over Maryland. It just so happens that one of them is about 5 minutes from our house. Our Dr. is Dr McKeedy and our Nurse's name is Dana.
We both were a little anxious going to this appointment because neither of us were quite sure what to expect. I was very impressed with both Dr. McKeedy and Dana. They were very professional and very down to earth. We met with the Dr first and he listened as we told our histories. He then said something I have been waiting to hear for years. I had always expected it and self diagnosed myself but no doctor previously had ever "labeled" me. He told me it sounds as though I have PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome). He went on to explain tons of things to us. I wish I could have taped him because he told us so much and it was such good information but I can't remember it all. He explained to us what happens in PCOS and why it causes infertility. He explained what our course of action would be after this and also said he doesn't think at this point that it will be something severe that we would make it as far as considering IVF (invitrofertilization). Of course he can't know that for sure at this point. They deal with many cases like this and he referred to me as young several times through out conversation. I joked with him that my son reminds me how OLD I am and he laughed and said compared to the age group of the patients he sees, I am young.
We talked about the past treatments I had received as far as medication regimen. Previously I had been put on Clomid (stimulate ovulation) and Metformin (which is an anti-diabetic and since insulin resistance plays a part in PCOS it helps fertility). Dr. McKeedy said that in the past the two were given together but recently they found that success rate is better just with starting clomid alone first. Before we would even proceed with medications he wants to do a panel of blood tests/hormone levels on me as well as a procedure he described as painful to ensure that my Fallopian tubes are not blocked. Apparently they will shoot some kind of dye into my uterus in order to do that. Then with Glenn they will want to do blood work and semen analysis. None of this can start though until we are preapproved by the insurance. We should hear something from them in 8-10 days. Then I can go in and they will induce my period and on the third day I can have all the above tests. So here is the first of what I'm sure will be many more "waiting games." As soon as I will know....you will know.....
At one point Glenn and I were sitting in the office alone and he looked over at me with tears in his eyes. I asked him why he was crying. He said he was really excited. I am too but I am so cautious and tend to be pessimistic about this whole ordeal. I don't know what the future brings but I remember all to well what it is like to look at negative pregnancy tests over and over and over....hopefully this time will be different......

No comments: