6.17.2008

Curiouser and Curiouser.....the tale of our pasts

Glenn and I were recently married, May 17th of this year to be exact. It is a month to the day that I begin this blog. We have had some hard and crazy things happen to us individually as well as together and I will not bore you with all the details.....just what pertains to the purpose of this blog.
My issues with the whole idea of "infertility" began when I was 18. My periods had been irregular for a couple of years at that point and I had some hormonal work up done and the dr told me that I had too much testosterone in my body. He told me and I will never forget these words, "It will be very difficult for you to get pregnant if you ever can at all." I remember going back to my college dorm room devestated and crying because I had always wanted to get married and be a mommy. My irregular periods continued and I went on and off birth control to keep them regular and provera (which made me really sick) to induce them. At one point in my previous marriage I had lost about 50 pounds and my periods started coming regularly for the first time in years. I still never thought about the prospect of having a baby because after taking what seemed like 5,000 pregnancy tests only to have them read negative you start to not even entertain the idea at all. It turns out that I got prenant and carried to term with little issue a healthy baby boy who is now almost 6 years old. After that my husband at the time and I tried again, over and over and nothing worked. I went through medictation regimines and ultrasounds and basal temp taking and nothing came of it. We didn't go as far as we could have with it because I chose another route. I was quite heavy after my first pregnancy so I decided that since losing weight the first time helped that maybe it would the second time as well. My OB was in agreement and so I started the process to have gastric bypass. I was aproved, had the surgery and lost 140 pounds. In the midst of all of that my marriage went bad and I found myself divorced and now remarried. Apparently weight is not the key this time because Glenn and I have not been using protection for over a year and I haven't gotten pregnant. I have only had my period 4 times in the last year.
Glenn had went with his ex wife to some very preliminary testing done on his sperm. It was found that he had lazy sperm. They were together for 4 years or a little more and she never was able to get pregnant .....well not by Glenn anyway. She chose her own route for having children and is now married to the baby's daddy. (I could write a blog on her alone.....grrrrr)
So here we are together now....each of us with our issues and wanting to have children of our own. Glenn has had 3 step sons now and while he is a great daddy to my son, I know he would like to have one of his own and I also would love to be able to give that gift to him.
We have our first appointment at Shady Grove Fertillity Center today. As I understand it, it will be an "intake" of sorts and then we will go from there. I am excited and nervous. They are supposed to be a really great fertility center.
I have gone through many cycles of frustration and hurt at other's being able to have baby's so quickly and easily, teenage mom's who can't support or raise a child or those who I deem "unfit" . I do know this for sure. Ten years from now it will not matter all the tears I cried in the past. What will matter is that no matter how hard we had to fight we did whatever we needed to do to realize our dreams.

No comments: