8.17.2008

Of sandcastles and butterflys.....



This email was in my mailbox this morning. It's from another friend of mine who unlike me has not been given the chance to love even one child of her own....don't get me wrong. She loves her step son with all her heart but unless you've been there you can't understand that it's just not the same......Thank you sweetie.


hey, i had this poem in my blog archives... so i'm not sure if you've ever seen it. anyway, cool seeing you friday!!!

Holding on to Hope

As little girls with well loved dolls,
we dreampt of being "Mommy".
As teenagers with the hope of love,
we named each child so secretly.
As loving wives we have waited
for these dreams, so patiently.
And as it stands, there is still hope,
but it comes and goes so easily.

As the butterfly comes to visit,
but flutters away the very next instant...
So is the hope for many.
As the dawn promises the day,
just for dusk to take it away...
So is the hope for many.
As castles of sand stand tall,
'till the tide, as is life, dictates "that's all"...
So is the hope for many.
And as the days pass,
it becomes harder, and harder still-
to play in the sand,
to look to the sunrise,
or notice the butterfly at all.
And so is the hope for me.

Pen in hand, I wonder...
What is there to say?
I know I am not alone, but oh!
doesn't it so often feel that way?
Go ahead and say it is my fault-
I already feel that you do.
I don't blame you for not understanding,
You don't really know unless it's you.

But it's here that I find true release,
because you each know what it's like.
I know I'm not the only one who's done their time
being the Nanny, not the Mommy...
the Caregiver, not the Mommy...
the Teacher, not the Mommy...
the Step-Mom, not the real Mom...
or perhaps, the "Greatest Aunt in the World".

And what of God, in all of this?
Lord, I think we've suffered long enough.
Wasn't it You who placed the longing in us?
Oh, to hear my own child say "Mommy".
I've heard that You will sometimes place
a weakness where there is a strength,
So I thank You, kindly, for the compliment...
but where is my baby?

Where is life as I had hoped,
Where is the life of my dreams?
If one more person says to me,
"Oh you are so young, you have plenty of time."
I am seriously going to scream.
I spend my days counting down to "30",
I never have to worry about "the tide"...
it never comes.
And I've grown awfully fond
of the hair on my chin.
(yeah, right)

So, where is my hope?

There is hope in juicing carrots,
There is hope in drinking barley,
There is hope in organic raw foods,
There is hope in the pavement under my feet...
Every step of the journey, is the journey, afterall.
There is hope in the love of my husband,
And the promises of my God.

And we know that in all things
God works for the good of those
who love Him-
Give thanks in all circumstances-
Seek first His kingdom
and His righteousness,
and all these things will be given to you-
I can do everything through
Him who gives me strength.-
By His stripes, I am healed.

Ladies, we have been so brave.
We have dreampt so big.
We have held onto hope with both hands.
It's time to open those hands,
and share our hope with each other.
One day we just might be
chasing butterflies with our daughters,
and building sandcastles with our sons.

No comments: